Tuesday 7 May 2013

It's been too long - I need to write again!

Yep, I know it.  I've been very very lax in updating my blog.  I've kept saying that I want to get back into writing, and putting my thoughts down in words will help my imagination flow in some crazy way.

There are reasons for the lack of any new blog pages.  One of those involved me moving out of my house share in Benfleet and moving back to my old stomping ground in Southchurch.  This move was kind of put upon me by some unbelievable douchebags (not my housemates, just two people who owned half the house) and caused a fair bit of stress, though I tried not to let it show.  The real reason for the stress was the passing of my nan, just prior to moving.

I'd like to take this moment and talk about my nan, and how her passing affected me.  If you talk to my mum and uncle, they would both agree that my nan was not a particularly maternal person, but I know that she loved her kids, and they in turn loved her and looked after her right until she passed away.  As a grandchild, I can only say good things about my nan.  She wasn't the greatest cook and, at times, bordered on eccentric, but she was good with me and my brother, as well as my cousins.

I have very good memories of her bungalow in Leigh, some of which I will never share with anyone other than my family.  I remember Saturday afternoons playing in her garden, picking apples then watching Supergran, the A-Team and Columbo.  Despite being much older than her grandkids, she would always let us watch what we wanted, or let us run up to the shop for ice pops.

Just over a week before my nan passed, she was given the last rites, as many didn't believe that she would hang on much longer.  But she did.  She was given the last rites on the Sunday evening, but didn't pass away until the following Friday, Good Friday - a fitting date for a woman who believed in god and was a true servant at her local church.  I wasn't there at the end, but I had been there throughout the week.  My last memory of her will always be her 90th birthday, just over a week before the end.  The whole family were there and, when we started singing Happy Birthday, she opened her eyes and smiled, before drifting off.  I never saw her awake again, but I know that she would have been so happy at that point.

On the 7th April 2013, I tried to hold back tears as I carried my nan to her final resting place.  Both me and my brother kissed her coffin goodbye, and I hope she's up there watching down on us now.  Hopefully you can bring a little luck to us nan.

As I write this, I'm getting choked up but the memories are playing in my head and I'm smiling too.  It's true that the most emotional experiences can cause so many different feelings, and I want to be able to try and capture that in writing form.

Now I'm back in Southchurch and enjoying my new flat (which still requires a lot of work), and have some spare time in the evening, I'm going to try and update this blog as often as possible (I hope!).  Starting today, I'm going to try and blog about things that are going on in my life at the moment.

1. My New Abode
As I've mentioned above, I recently moved back to Southchurch.  I was enjoying my time in Benfleet, as I lived with some good people.  Unfortunately, towards the end of March, some unscrupulous bastards (who were well aware of my nan's health at the time) decided that my rent needed to be increased.  With the amount that I was expected to pay, it made more sense to get my own place.  Thankfully, my little cousin (who also lived in our Benfleet house share) was able to help pay the bills, so the two of us looked at places and found one in Southchurch, 10 mins from town.

On the 5th April 2013, we signed the tennancy agreement and got the keys.  What followed was a very busy few days moving, tidying and washing the flat.  Over a month on from our initial move, there are still bits at the flat that need to be fixed (broken window and plumbing), but slowly and surely it's coming together.  A few people have popped round to see the place, but once we actually have everything fixed and tidied up, we shall be looking to actually have people round for food and drinks (where in we can fit more than one person in!).

2. My Social Life
This has picked up somewhat!  Being back in Southend does have its perks, especially being so near to places.  Only a few weeks ago I found myself in Dick De Vignes for the first time since it was Chicago Rock (I'm going back quite a way there!) and I was pleasantly surprised.  Granted, it did feature a lot of older clientele and the majority of people I went to school with, but I think I handled it quite well.  Also, I've had the opportunity to hang out with some new people (namely one new person) which has brought me a few smiles.  Oh, and I got behind the DJ decks for the first time this year and loved every minute of it, so I may actually get my passion back for playing music to people.  With stuff planned over the next couple of weeks, my weekends should be quite interesting going forward!

3. My Passions
Those that know me know that I love film.  Despite agreeing last year to try and watch 1000 films a year, I made it to March before I conceded defeat - 18-19 films a week is doable, but doesn't leave you open for anything else.  I'm trying to watch a few films here and there, and since my move I've sat down and watched Iron Man 3, Carrie, Looper, Seven Psycopaths, The Jerk, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Dragnet, Problem Child, Gremlins, Babys Day Out, Police Academy and a couple more that have escaped me.  Hopefully I can soon get a cinema buddy that will join me for movies.

My other passion is Southend United.  I was at Wembley Stadium when we lost to Crewe on the 7th April, and we've kind of gone downhill since.  Hopefully Phil Brown will lead us up next season, and I've managed to bag myself another football "friend" who will join me at Roots Hall as long as we sit near the bar.  I was on the pitch earlier this year to celebrate our win over Orient, and I hope that we can get on the pitch for a promotion party in 2013/14.

Ok, for what was going to be a brief post, this has actually turned out quite well.  Getting the fingers typing has helped, and it's also made me want to bust out some more of my film reviews...think that may have to happen sooner rather than later!  Until then, expect a rant about the Apprentice, which starts at 9pm on BBC1 tonight.  Thats the one show that really makes my blue blood boil (and yes, I did just end this post with a wrestling reference)!

No comments:

Post a Comment