Wednesday 9 April 2014

My Movies of 2013

I haven't written in a while - especially after I stated that I would make it my aim to do so more this year (as well as last year and the year before it) - so I figured I would try and use what short spare time I had to get back into the writing swing of things.  And what better way to start this than an exceptionally late review of my favourite films of 2013!

Out of every movie that was released in 2013, I managed to obtain a grand total of 111 of them.  Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to sit down and watch all of them - I only managed to catch 72 of them, and still have 39 left to watch and either enjoy and keep or discard into a recycling bin.

Trying to put 72 films into a list of 10 was quite a task.  There were so many good films released in 2013 that could fit into any critic or reviewers top ten, and whilst I have taken into account what the critics think, my choice is not based on their perception, but rather mine.  I like films that make me laugh, that make me think, that make me want to be a part of it.  If I like a film, I will re-watch it again and again (and I have re-watched 16 of the 72 films more than once already).

Whilst trying to pick my favourite films may have been tough, it was a lot easier to weed out the utter dross that was released.  So it is without further ado that I confirm what I consider to be the worst films I saw in 2013:

Tied into first place as the worst films of 2013 are Movie 43 and Inappropriate Comedy.  Why the hell film-makers saw fit to make these utter piles of horse crap is beyond me.  Whilst they aren't at a level whereby I would rather watch episodes of Last of the Summer Wine and From May to December instead of them, they do come close.  Inappropriate Comedy tries to be just like the Kentucky Fried Movie but fails in every comparison.  Movie 43 has a number of A List stars in it, but has no specific plot (apparently there are versions for both the UK and US audiences that explain why we are watching crap "mini-movies", but at the end of the day, who cares?  Not the viewing public, and definitely not the critics who savagely lambasted these two films - for once, I agree with the critics!

In addition to the two monstrous atrocities above, I would have to also give a shout out to Warm Bodies (a zombie romantic comedy that was devoid of laughs for me - just look at Shaun of the Dead in order how to do a zombie rom com), A Good Day to Die Hard (which took me three sittings to get through and I still hated it), Evil Dead (a remake that did not require one - we only wanted a new Bruce Campbell sequel - and that ruined everything good about the original), Pacific Rim (held so much promise, but bored the hell out of me), The Wolverine (I loved the X-Men Origins Wolverine film, but this was not up to that standard, and it felt a bit sub-par for me), Man of Steel (possibly a controversial choice, but whilst Henry Cavill was a great choice as the titular role, this was just way too over the top for me), and Snitch (I thought that this would be a good action movie with the Rock, but there was really none - all the best bits were in the trailer).

So that's 9 films off the list, leaving only 63 left to choose from.  It seems right to give out some memorable honours to the following films, all of which I enjoyed, but just missed out on my top ten:

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
Out of the Furnace.
Dallas Buyers Club.
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa.
Carrie (2013 Remake).
Don Jon.
Jobs.
Elysium.
The Heat.
Monsters University.
12 Years a Slave.
21 & Over.
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
Captain Phillips.
Iron Man 3.
Stand Up Guys.
Pain & Gain.

So, here we come to my ten favourite films of the year 2013:

10 - Gravity
09 - The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
08 - I Give It a Year
07 - Thor: The Dark World
06 - Now You See Me
05 - About Time
04 - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
03 - The Wolf of Wall Street
02 - This Is The End
01 - Despicable Me 2

If you were wondering what were the films I had actually seen in 2013 in order to decide my above top ten, I can confirm that these were the following:

2 Guns, 12 Years a Slave, 21 & Over, A Good Day to Die Hard, About Time, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues, Captain Phillips, Carrie (2013 Remake), Dallas Buyers Club, Delivery Man, Despicable Me 2, Don Jon, Elysium, Escape Plan, Evil Dead (2013 Remake), Fast & the Furious 6, Gravity, Grown Ups 2, Grudge Match, Hell Baby, Her, Homefront, I Give It a Year, Identity Thief, Inappropriate Comedy, Insidious: Chapter 2, Iron Man 3, Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa, Jobs, Kick-Ass 2, Last Vegas, Mama, Man of Steel, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, Metallica: Through the Never, Monsters University, Movie 43, Now You See Me, Olympus Has Fallen, Out of the Furnace, Oz: The Great & Powerful, Pacific Rim, Pain & Gain, Prisoners, RIPD, Runner Runner, Scary Movie 5, Snitch, Stand Up Guys, Star Trek: Into Darkness, The Conjuring, The Family, The Heat, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, The Internship, The Last Stand, The Purge, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The Wolf of Wall Street, The Wolverine, The World's End, This is the End, Thor: The Dark World, Turbo, Warm Bodies, We're the Millers, World War Z.

An I still have the following 2013 films left to see:

47 Ronin, After Earth, All Is Lost, American Hustle, Blue Jasmine, Bullet to the Head, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2, Dead Man Down, Ender's Game, Escape From Planet Earth, Frozen, Gangster Squad, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, Hours, Jack the Giant Slayer, Lone Survivor, Machete Kills, Oblivion, Parker, Percy Jackson & the Sea of Monsters, Philomena, RED 2, Riddick, Rush, Saving Mr Banks, Spring Breakers, Texas Chainsaw 3D, The Book Thief, The Call, The Croods, The Haunting in Conneticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Iceman, The Last Exorcism Part 2, The Lone Ranger, The Smurfs 2, Trance, Welcome to the Punch, You're Next.

If, after watching any of the above films, I decide to change my list, I will edit this post to do so.

As I've said before, this is my list based on my tastes and opinions, so it may differ to yours, but I would love to hear your best films of 2013!

Until the next time, stay classy minions!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment