Friday 17 August 2012

Being a DJ - The Trials & Tribulations

I feel that having a blog could be beneficial, especially for its use as a tool to impart any wisdom that I may have.  However, today's blog is not going to be full of wisdom.  In fact, it's probably going to be more of a tirade about the wonderful business of DJing.

I got behind my first pair of decks way back in 1995, as a school friend of mine was learning to mix.  At the time, these decks were basic turntables for vinyl, but thankfully vinyl was still widely available at that time.  My DJ experience at that time lasted a grand total of 15 minutes, during which time I was unable to match 2 seperate beats to a captive audience of about 4 people.  I wouldn't get behind decks again for another 5 years...

I started DJing the same way as others did - by thinking I know how to do this, its as simple as playing one song after the other, right.  As I was listening to "alternative" music at the time (grunge, metal, indie, industrial, etc), it seemed like a safer bet than dance music.  How wrong was I!!!  When I started DJing locally I must have pissed numerous people off because I broke the first unwritten rule of DJing - NEVER PLAY FOR YOURSELF.  I did that every single time.  It probably took me about 6 months to learn how to read a crowd and play to their strengths (something that a lot of people I know fail to do).

After about 8 months of playing to crowds between 6 and 150 people, I felt I had some experience and could start introducing new music into my sets.  Then a funny thing started happening - we started getting more people in.  I had said from the get-go that I would always strive to play requests & this pleased the punters paying their funds to get into the club.  After about a year, I was playing to regular crowds of about 200 people.  What could go wrong?

My first tirade in this blog is against club owners.  They hire DJs & staff to keep the punters entertained, but at the end of the day they pay peanuts & keep 95% of the money.  Fair play to them, they have to cover all kinds of overheads, but when you know that you've brought people into a club & got them dancing all night, when you get paid £30 for 6 hours work, its a slap in the face.  However, as I trust all DJs will feel, I was playing music for people & getting a real kick out of it.  Then the bottom started dropping out.

It started gradually - one week the owner would say "don't play Pantera", then the next it's "don't play Machine Head or Metallica".  This went on for about 2 months before the bombshell was dropped - I was asked to completely change the music policy.  No more was heavy metal or classic rock required, now it was emo music & indie.

This really got to me then (12 years ago) & still does now, as there are still club owners doing this.  Why would you want to change the music policy that could alienate the entire paying crowd for this particular night?  Why advertise a Metal/Rock night for at least 3-4 years then change it with no notice to the public?  Sure, it could pay off in the long run, but thats a risky concept.  In the end, it didn't pay off, as crowds started dwindling and within 5 years the club closed to be replaced by a bar with a jukebox.  To this day, it's still a student hangout but nowhere near as good as the place it used to be.

So, one year after I started DJing, I felt that I had made a name for myself so I decided to quit rather than change my music policy.  I was sure that I could get gigs elsewhere locally.  Unfortunately, the name I made was only applicable in certain areas, none of which resulted in permanent residency.  So, despite having some minimal experience, I started where the majority of DJs did - at the bottom of the ladder.

I went for spots that paid no money & only lasted 15-20 minutes at a time.  I was always the opener & never played to a crowd.  However, this was a humbling experience, & I got to watch many DJs, & in doing so I picked up a few pointers.  For the next 3 years I was DJing locally &, whilst not getting paid, I was getting a bit more time & some much needed experience.

My big break came when I moved to Australia.  I frequented a bar in Syndey at the Kings Cross Hotel.  Every Friday they would bust out a damn good metal night, & this was one of the only clubs in Australia that didn't contain tourists, so being the only pom there helped me.  I made friends with the DJ to the point where I was asked to DJ at an aftershow party for a band who - back then - were my favourite band.  They were Arch Enemy, & here I was, DJing alongside the band to a packed house.  I had finally arrived...at least in Sydney!  From there I was able to get gigs elsewhere & even managed to persuade the DJs in a Melbourne club to give me a shot.  During my travels I watched many DJs work their magic, and it brought my passion back for playing awesome music.

When I returned to the UK, I decided to start my own night up, rather than go through the rigmorale of trying to find a residency elsewhere.  At least this way I could be in charge of my career, or so I thought!  Being a promoter was a lot harder than getting behind the decks, & I combined the 2 as often as I could.  After 3 years, it put me off of club DJing and playing the same tunes again & again.  However, I did get the chance to hold a residency at our "local" alternitave club, playing great music alongside some good good people - we got people in, played requests & got paid for it.  In the last 3 years, that was definitely the most fun I had behind the decks - no promoter pressure, just playing awesome music.

Since stepping away from club DJing in 2010, I've stepped into the world of mobile DJing.  I thought it would be a lot easier & a better chance of getting paid higher amounts.  In a way it has been - myself & my fellow DJ have our own equipment, a musical library spanning 60+ years, plus the know-how & experience to put on the right event for our clients (be it a wedding, birthday party, function, etc).  However, in the past year, we've had about 10 gigs (as well as residency in local pubs & clubs) charged at mates rates in order to get our name out.  Its a tough business, because we're starting at the bottom again, and we have been stiffed for payment & paid out more than we should have.  Its like every career though, there's always ups & downs.

Here I am, 12 years after I first started DJing.  I own equipment & still get offered to perform at places, which is very flattering.  However, this was only ever a hobby for me.  I don't need the drama that professional DJing can bring - I just want to play music & get paid something for it.  Hopefully by next April we will have the whole business going (if we do, expect a blog pimping us out!) so I can start getting more money in.

For those of you that have read this blog so far & thought "why the flip would I want to read about what you did or didn't do", then I give to you below my do's & don'ts for anyone thinking about getting into this line of work:

1) Get yourself a DJ computer program that doesn't require any midi controllers - something like Virtual DJ would suffice.  You can use this to mix songs together & work out timings.  I use this a hell of a lot before a gig as it is a helpful tool to let you know what works together.  It also helps you work out sound levels, which are very important, as every song can be recorded at a different sound quality.

2) If you want to see how DJs work, ask them!  I've had a few people sitting in booths watching what I do.  Hell, if they're like me they may even let you get involved!

3) Get your own CD/MP3 collection - never turn up at a gig without them & ask to borrow another DJs music collection.  This is a big No-No as a DJs tunes are theirs & theirs alone.  This also shows that you are not prepared.

4) If you get a spot, remember that the chances are you will be playing to no-one or a minimal crowd at the start of the night.  You may not be paid, & you may not get the chance to play again.  However, take it for what it is - experience.

5) Never DJ for yourself - you didn't pay to be entertained, but the crowd did.

6) If you get asked to play a venue, check it out beforehand to determine the music policy & to get an idea of what works & when.

7) Always keep a list of songs you're playing - some venues may let you open but the other DJs won't be by the decks, & the crowd may not take kindly to songs being repeated.

8) If you get a paying gig, make sure that you get an invoice printed for payment, or get payment in cash confirmed prior to your spot.

9) If you are getting into the mobile DJ trade, make sure that you have a contract completed to provide clients with - failure to have this will result in you possibly being screwed over.

10) If you have the experience, be wary about mentoring others.  DJing is a ruthless business and you will be surprised how many people are willing to undercut you - I've taken the time to mentor 2 people, both of whom have tried to utilise my clubnight for their own gain to take spots elsewhere.  Be wary of who you work with.  I have worked with a large number of DJs over the years but would only ever consider working with 2 of them (one is my former Decibel/SNAP/Pink Toothbrush DJ, and the other is my current fellow mobile DJ).

11) Never piss off a promoter!  They booked you to perform so don't hassle them for money or get pissed off if they only offer you certain spots.

12) This is the main one - ENJOY IT!

I would love to hear from other DJs that may have blogged about their career or the high & low points of the business, so please feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment